As a certified electrician, I will explain what an electrical fire smells like in this article. Does it smell like fish?
“In general, an electrical fire smell can be described in 2 ways. Some argue that it has the acrid odor of burning plastic. This odor is understandable because plastic components such as wire coatings or insulation sheaths could be on fire underneath the wall. Some people claim that an electrical fire smells like fish. Yes, it’s strange, but when electrical parts overheat, they occasionally emit a fishy odor.”
I will cover more detail below.
What Causes an Electrical Fire to Smell?
An electrical fire can occur when a circuit breaker, cable, or electric wire malfunctions or fails.
An electrical fire smell can be described in two ways. First and foremost, some argue that it has the acrid odor of burning plastic. This odor is understandable because plastic components such as wire coatings or insulation sheaths could be on fire underneath the wall.
Yes, it’s a strange fact, but an electrical fire smells like fish. It explains why when electrical parts overheat, they occasionally emit a fishy odor.
It would be preferable if you were concerned with a burning plastic smell rather than a fishy smell. As previously stated, an electrical fire is difficult to detect because it occurs behind walls. As a result, I recommend that you call the fire department as soon as you detect that odor.
Most Common Problematic Areas in Our Homes
Power Outlets and Lighting
Extension cords can be very useful but can also be dangerous if used incorrectly. Extension cords, for example, should not be hidden beneath furniture or carpeting. If you do this, you risk causing a fire. Furthermore, never plug multiple extension cords — also called daisy-chaining.
If your table lamp is overworked, it could catch fire. All light bulbs, like lighting fixtures, have a suggested wattage range. When the recommended capacity of the light bulb is exceeded, the lamp or lighting fixture may explode or ignite.
If the wiring in your home is more than two decades old, it may be time for an upgrade.
As wiring ages, it becomes less capable of handling the electrical load required by today’s homes. Overloading a circuit can cause it to trip the breaker. Furthermore, if your breaker box is as old as your wiring, it may overheat and catch fire.
When your house is around 25 years old, you should have your wiring checked. Typically, only a few breakers or the main panels must be serviced.
Some wirings might have cloth sheathing if your house was built before the 1980s. In that case, current standards should be used to replace it.
Other Indications of an Electrical Fire
Other than the electrical fire smell, there are other warning signs.
- Buzzing noise
- dim lights
- Breakers frequently trip
- Sparking electricity
- Switches and outlets discoloration
- Outlets and switch plates are getting hotter
Follow this protocol when you suspect a fire in your home:
- Leave the building
- Call 911 and explain your issue
- When the fire department has extinguished the flames, and everyone is safe, it is time to change the electrical circuits in your home.
Take a look at some of our related articles below.
- How long does the electrical burning smell last
- How to wire a shunt trip breaker
- How to test a fluorescent light bulb with a multimeter
Were Sorry This Was Not Helpful!
Let us improve this post!
Please Tell Us How We Can Improve This Article.